top of page

A few thoughts on the Hampton, NH Master Plan update

Dear Editor,

Related to Natural Hazards and Coastal Impacts, Salt marshes are coastal wetlands that are flooded and drained by salt water brought in by the tides. We have built, built, and built up on these wetlands thus accelerating sea-level rise and the coastal flooding. Without a doubt, it has contributed to additional and more severe coastal flooding. Development in Hampton has far exceeded tangible infrastructure investment, we have failed as a community to properly invest in critical infrastructure needs such as the wastewater treatment plant (that is finally now in process), disintegrating sewer lines underneath us, which are now expected to support all this added development, and failed or non existent drainage infrastructure adding to the levels of both salt water and rainwater. As the selectman representative to the Capital Improvement Plan for Hampton this year, I hope we can work jointly with the Master Plan Committee and create a transparent plan that will include putting some brakes on development and accelerating infrastructure investment. We have approximately $34 million in critical infrastructure needs, all projects have been submitted to the CWSRF. In order to sell it at the next town meeting, we will need additional funding sources besides Hampton taxpayers. The state of NH comes to mind, Chairman Emerick. Town owned buildings, properties, and Services. 80% of Hampton’s taxable valuation is from residential properties, which leaves 20% for commercial ones. The town needs to take better care of that 80%. The majority of that 80% tax base is over the age of 55, Hampton needs a building and more dedicated services for the Hampton seniors. Population and Housing. In 2018, as part of the state biennial budget deal, a Housing Appeals Board was created. This Concord appointed board will be available for appeals of decisions made by locally elected planning and zoning boards. Appointed bodies should never overrule elected bodies, in my view. During a special meeting this past August, the legislative fiscal committee approved using $1.5 million from the ARP funds for regional planning commissions to do a needs assessment on housing across the state and to hire a project manager to implement a three-year strategic plan to improve housing stability. So I ask, what are the thoughts from this board on this effort? You all the locally elected land use board for Hampton, we have our own zoning, and our own community to deal with. The state of NH and the federal government have no authority to impose housing demands onto us. I hope when the time comes, this board will stand up and defend Hampton.

Regina Barnes

Hampton, NH

14 views0 comments


bottom of page